Friday, February 12, 2010

A New York Moment

The movie version of the 30's musical Roberta was on the tube last night and it made me think of my mother and a truly wondrous New York moment.

In 1933, my mom, all of 20 and fresh from the Bronx, was working as a secretary for the Broadway producer and agent, Leland Hayward. She was asked to bring a contract to be signed by the actress known as Tamara to the New Amsterdam theater where this exotic performer was wowing audiences with her sultry rendition of Jerome Kern's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes."  When my mom arrived she was ushered into Tamara's dressing room and sat politely (and I'm sure, nervously) waiting for the actress to appear. Finally, Tamara emerged from another room, totally nude. She ignored my mother and stood before a full-length mirror, brushing her famously long black hair. As she brushed and brushed, her hair contrasting sharply with her pale, glowing skin, she began to softly sing "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" to herself.

As you can imagine, my mom was awestruck - she said it was one of the most beautiful things she had ever seen.

Only in New York.

2 comments:

  1. Bob, Enjoyed reading your blog - Fred P Tour Guide

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an award for you at my blog as I find this new site very interesting! Since I love NYC it is always nice to hear about different stories - Thank you !!! I look forward to more!!

    http://nycstylecannoli.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete